Well, it seems as though the Christmas season has officially arrived here on the West Coast of Canada.
Which means, it’s only a matter of time before I watch my three favourite holiday movies:
Muppets Christmas Carol
It’s actually the third film on this list that was the impetus for me writing this post.
I was thinking about when would be an appropriate time to sit down for our yearly viewing of this masterpiece, before asking myself (for maybe the millionth time) – DID ALAN RICKMAN REALLY CHEAT ON EMMA THOMPSON?
This questions has been plaguing me for the past ten years.
Common consensus would say, yes, Harry and Mia did in fact engage in coitus (hence why we see her putting the necklace on in her undies, with an unmade bed in the background – I HAVE SEEN THIS MOVIE MANY TIMES) but I have such a hard time accepting this reality.
But most likely this is because of my all-consuming, and always growing love for Ms. Thompson.
Anyway, even though to me, this movie is perfect (to paraphrase Rick Grimes and all), here are a few other problems that always arise upon every viewing.
*holds up sign of mummified human being*
1. I don’t believe that Colin Firth’s (Jamie’s) wife would cheat on him with his brother. I mean, THAT GUY? Really? HIM? Could they not have cast some crazy, smoking hot dude (a real Carl if you will!) to play this part?
And why is everyone so disappointed that Uncle Jamie isn’t staying with the family for Christmas? HIS BROTHER WAS SEXING HIS WIFE BEHIND HIS BACK! The fact that his entire brood of blood relatives is willing to excuse that horrible behaviour, but is insanely upset that Jamie won’t carve the bloody turkey is WAY COLD. And I’m not buying it!
Although “I HATE Uncle Jamie!” has become one of Marc’s and my most favourite sayings to date, so – not all bad I suppose.
2. “Miss Dunkin’ Donuts 2003.”
COME ON RICHARD CURTIS. We all know Aurelia’s Portuguese Dad isn’t using that as his insult of choice when he’s fat-shaming his other daughter.
What the hell man? IF you’re going to go for the cheap weight-related joke, at the very least use your imagination and don’t just go for the lazy laugh!
3. That photo of Harry (Alan Rickman) and Bernard (his son), framed on Karen (Emma Thompson’s) dresser cracks me up every time I see it. Bernard just looks completely nuts, and is making the most bonkers face of life.
I can never NOT see it now.
4. What is UP with the Prime Minister’s Press Secretary (Is that her title?) who likes to make fun of Natalie? Is she in love with the Prime Minister? Why the hell would she make such a crappy comment about the size of Natalie’s bum? I mean, isn’t that crazy unprofessional? I DON’T GET IT.
5. Daniel (Liam Neeson) and his step-son get over his wife’s death way too quickly. Also, no one learns to play the drums in a week. TAKE THAT YA WEE MONGREL!
6. Do we really think that backpack is chock-a-block filled with condoms?
7. What is UP with girls from Wisconsin? Is Christmas Eve and Budweiser some kind of lethal sex combination for these young ladies OR WHAT?
8. Look man, I think Kiera Knightley is as lovely as the next gal, but what the heck is up with that wedding dress? Midriff baring? In the middle of winter? And is she wearing feathers in her hair? I mean, look how effortlessly amazing Peter (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is in his suit. Could we not have at least tried to match this?
9. Also, am I the only one who thought that Mark (Peter’s best friend) was in love with Peter? I still kind of wish that this was, in fact, the case. And that he really did hate Juliet, because she had taken away not only his best friend, but the love of his life.
10. LAURA LINNEY. What are you doing friend!? TAKE CARL AND RAVISH HIM. We all die, over and over again, every time we watch you waste such a magical chance to bed Carl the enigmatic chief designer-cum-underwear model!
So there you have it dudes. My (small!) beefs with one of the best holiday movies of all time.
Do you agree?
Let me know.
But in the meantime, I’ll let Joanna have the last word:
All I want for Christmas is YOU.
12 thoughts on “Love Actually, is, all around (can we move the Japanese Ambassador to 4pm tomorrow?)”
Regarding Wisconsin, I think you underestimate the power of a cute British accent. Regarding Natalie, would we call her fat? Apparently we would. Doesn’t mean she isn’t cute as hell though (even if she hails from the dodgy part of town).
My only real problem with this film (which is one of my all-time favorites) is the Laura Linney storyline. I know it shows aspects of love otherwise unfound in the film but it is such a huge bummer and doesn’t feel quite complete.
Also, I know you dislike Game of Thrones but did you know Sam plays Jojen Reed! He is only like 10 years too old for the role but he plays it well. And Joanna is now a successful voice actor. Super nerd connection!
I’ve heard he is really awesome as Jojen Reed! (And hey, love GoT, just not the series. Though I would never kick Kit Herrington out of bed for eating crackers, that is for sure.)
I too am always left sad for Laura Linney. It’s always a weird message about how having a family member with a mental illness will just completely take over your life.
How are you? How is the Boy Prince?
Love the movie. Love how much thought you have put into it. Now will have to watch again with your post in mind!
Too much thought maybe, but it cannot be helped! Hope you enjoy the rewatching. :)
Oh boy….now I have to watch this movie. Overkill to watch it once a week til Christmas?
In other news, I’ve missed keeping up with your blog, friend. Must be better about that. Hope you’re doing well. :)
NEVER. Not with this flick especially!
How are you doing? I have been the absolute worst of keeping up with anything, so please do not apologize. How is NY treating you? Thinking about you lots, and sending you all of my Christmas cheer!
(as per allmost the yoozyoo-uhl, U NAILDITT.) tis towards the very top, maybe above the top, of b ‘n meez faves tambìen.
Hahaha, thanks!! I had such a fun time writing this one…probably one of my faves post to date. And we just re-watched on Friday!
ah, shameless us, it was recent we saw(r) it again too!
I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a
lot of time writing, i know how to save you a
lot of work, there is an online tool that creates readable, SEO friendly posts
in minutes, just search in google – laranitas free content source
Awesome content you post on your blog, i have shared this article on my twitter