There are so, SO many things of which I have to write, but while I get my thoughts (and pictures, and videos) in order, and oil up my oh-so rusty typing fingers, I am going to answer the ten funniest questions OF LIFE posed to me by the amazingly hilarious Great Unwashed.
Please go check out her blog. You will not regret this decision.
And now! My answers:
1. If you had to choose between Anna Karenina, War and Peace and Steve Martin’s acclaimed novella “Shopgirl” which book would be the best weapon in a bar fight?
First off, GREAT QUESTION.
My initial reaction was all, “UMMMM ANNA KARENINA YO.”
In terms of sheer weight (both literally, and literature-aly), The Jerk doesn’t have a thing on old Leo T. In fact, I am surprised he is even included here in the list. I would have expected something like – Anna Karenina, The Brothers Karamazov, and Les Miserables.
I only initially chose the adorable adventures of Kitty and Levin (and the insufferable angst of Anna and Vronsky) because it was first in the list. War and Peace would also pack one hell of a punch.
But I digress.
My decision in the end actually IS Shopgirl (and not just because I love the word “novella”), but because anyone who thought to start a bar fight with me, and then happened to espy that I was reading such dreck would probably realize that going rope-a-dope with me just wouldn’t be worth it.
My life would be much too sad already.
Side note: my husband really hates Steve Martin.
Like, a lot.
I don’t really care either way, but I do dig the fact that he plays the banjo.
2. What is the longest period you’ve ever gone without bathing? Please note, stays in Turkish prisons do not count.
Okay, first things first –
I LOVE TAKING SHOWERS.
They are firmly ensconced in my Top Five Things to Do By Myself.
Plus I just generally hate feeling dirty. Nothing feels as good as a great scrubbing.
The longest I have ever gone without showering was two weeks in grade ten when I was a camp counsellor in training.
I took part in a teenage Outward Bound-type excursion, and being that we spent the entire time in the wild woods, we also went the entire time sans-showers.
I tell you, even though we had the opportunity to swim almost every day, I was practically dreaming about soap and shampoo by the end of the trip.
3. You’ve decided to take on three additional husbands and or wives, who are they? Both living and dead people may be included, although admittedly an attraction to the deceased is a little beyond me.
SUCH A HARD QUESTION.
But such a good question.
For the purely physical: James Spader circa 1986.
Or Rafa Nadal circa all of his Armani ads.
SO HOT I JUST CAN’T EVEN.
For the purely intellectual: David Mitchell.
SO FUNNY AND SMART I JUST CAN’T EVEN.
For the whole package: Stephen Colbert.
4. What is your most unfortunate public transportation story?
I have drooled quite a bit on the metro in my day.
Also, once, while riding the last skytrain back home I watched a guy barf all over the floor.
That wasn’t very nice.
5. Go back in time, you’re attempting to sell your five year old sibling, what is your asking price?
ONE MILLION CHOCOLATE BARS.
6. In a bid to secure the Guinness World Record for “Longest and Highest Transport of Tom Cruise” you’ve decided to piggyback this superstar across the Andes. What phrase do you repeat to yourself during the tough parts of the trek to spur yourself onwards when Tom’s pointy hip bones are digging into your spine?
The following classic line from Top Gun:
“I WANT SOME BUTTS!”
(See below video.)
No joke, I use this line almost daily.
7. What do you consider to be a valid reason for a hunger strike?
I wrote a super long answer about torture and imprisonment without cause that was super, super grim (surprise, surprise!) so for the sake of brevity I’ll just say that weird pink chicken mcnugget sludge.
The thought of that stuff pretty much turns me off food for life.
8. Name three items you hide from your spouse or significant other or even better, yourself.
I don’t actually hide much, if anything at all, from Marc.
As many of you who read this blog might have guessed, I’m a pretty transparent person.
However, for years I denied that it was me who put the dent into our old VW Golf. I also only watch Drop Dead Diva when he’s either asleep or out of the house. One time I farted on the subway and convinced him that he was in fact the one who farted.
9. Where are the hiding places for these items? Wait! Don’t tell me, I’m a terrible secret keeper.
10. How do you feel about my interviewing skills? Will they make Oprah love me?
If the big O doesn’t love you, please take some level of comfort in the fact that I most definitely do.
So there you have it!
What about you dudes? What are some of your answers to the fab-tastic queries?
Please do share.
Because let’s be honest here, they are just too good not to.
10 thoughts on “Open up and bare it all”
they (the kwestyunz and yore answearz) are all, well, mostly, funny. and because i’m extraOrdinarily lazy and mentally flaccid, uh, flabby, today, i’ll go with all your answers (except the spouse ones. i have a thing for Helen Mirren, Kate Blanchett, and Zoe Saldana).
All excellent, excellent choices. :)
Pink chicken sludge? I’m never eating again. Thank you for taking my questions and running with them.
As the wife of a doctor your reaction to a man barfing on public transit; It is very much akin to Roscoe’s toned down reactions to horrible medical news.
Oh my goodness, I can only imagine the desensitization! The man must be a rock.
And yes…that sludge…*shivers*
“One time I farted on the subway and convinced him that he was in fact the one who farted.” BAHAHAHAHAHA
Most definitely my finest hour. :)
Vanessa, it is just a treat to have you back in the blogging world. Color me selfish for saying so :)
Where you love showers, I often attempt to see how long I can go without washing my hair. I’ll wash the bod, but my hair’s stylistic capacity seems to grow with not washing it. Oi, what’s a girl to do?
Laura Beth! I so miss reading your stuff, and I think this Friday I am going to sit back with a large cup of coffee and read all the posts that I have missed in my blogging absence. I cannot, cannot wait!
& you don’t have a soft spot in yore hart for hoarsez?
Of course! They are gentle beasts with beauteous eyes!